Thursday, March 16, 2017

Protecting my IP

Protecting IP is paramount to any successful business. In my situation it is tough because I am pulling code from Google Maps API which is open source. As such, I would like to keep my company as open source as possible because I believe what I'm working on has a social good aspect. As such, I want people to be able to access this information for free. But at the end of the day, money makes the world go round, so this is what I will do to protect my IP:

I will look to copyright my code. Copyright protects language/articles and software/code have been deemed extensions of language so that is how I will go about protecting my IP. Furthermore, I will look to trademark my company logo and name. As my company continues to grow, it is very important to establish and protect your brand, by trademarking, I will be able to do just that. Another way to protect company IP is through patents. The patent process will be crucial for me to understand because while I'm developing my own product, it's paramount I don't infringe on something someone else has already created. At the end of the day, a company must be able to protect its secret sauce and these are a few methods which I may use to get that job done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment